Re: Yeast

Takt EZ <TaktEZ@aol.com>
Tue, 16 Dec 1997 20:29:40 EST

<< At a local warehouse operations (Sam's Club) they have a larger quantity of
 yeast (1 pound???) for $2.99.  The package says that, once opened, it must be
 used within 2 weeks.

 Is this yeast something different from the little jars and packets???  >>

Hi Chet

I buy my yeast at Sam's Club and it's just great.  I assume your store handles
the same stuff as ours which is the Red Star Instant Active Yeast.  It comes
freeze dried in one pound foil packages and sells for $2.99 for two packages,
or another words a buck fifty per pound.

Once the package is opened the yeast must be used quickly provided it's stored
at room temperature, if however, you put the contents of the opened package in
a glass jar with a tight fitting lid and store it in the freezer, it will keep
for over a year with no loss in activity.

Chet, there is no difference between the stuff from Sam's Club, the little
package or the jar.  It's all basically the same product.  It's just one heck
of a good deal for those of us who bake all of our own bread.

I hope this helps.

Don