RE: Yeast and Spent Grain

"John Lifer, jr" <jliferjr@misnet.com>
Sun, 14 Dec 1997 07:18:09 -0600
v097.n079.3
On the use of Sam's yeast, I bought a double package about 6-8 months
ago.  Opened one up, put about half in each of two jars, one I put in
the fridge, the other I stored on the shelf.  I just finished the second
jar from the first pack without detecting any changes in the use or
quality.  The instructions to use it up quick are in my mind for a
restaurant which might not store the yeast closed or well. Buy It!
As far as the spent grain question, I brew and have tried the spent
grain route.  Don't really like it, but if you like a lot of roughage in
your bread, try it.  Substitute a half cup or so in BMaker recipe.
Don't over do it.  I feed my grain to my seven goats and they eat it up
like it is candy.  After brewing, the starches are converted to sugar
and the grain is sweet( whatever is left)

John in Mississippi