yeast and dough relaxer

Mark and Jen Wesner <mwnjw@iei.net>
Mon, 22 Dec 1997 22:43:04 -0500
v097.n080.12
Regarding yeast, I keep reading about everyone that's getting their yeast
at Sam's Club.  I can do that, and have, although I have to say that I
never had the results I can get with SAF Instant.  It's about twice the
price of the Red Star or Fleishman's at Sam's -- $2.59 for a 1 lb. 1.64 oz
package.  But it takes awhile to use it up (about 6 mo.), even at a loaf
every other day or so.  I use it in combination with my dough enhancer,
which is Magic Mill Dough Enhancer, about $7.50 for a 16 oz. can.  I use it
in equal parts with the yeast.  The ingredients are Whey, soy lecithin,
tofu, citric acid, dry yeast, sea salt, natural spice blend, corn starch,
Vitamin C (ascorbic acid), and natural flavour.

I get both these things at a health food store here in Indianapolis.
Everyone has to find the combination that works for them and their own
bread -- for me, it's these two things that make my bread great.  I store
my yeast, the entire l lb.+ package, in a plastic container that seals
tightly (rubbermaid) in my fridge.  I've never had it go bad or not rise.

Hope this is helpful.  Isn't it great that this breadmaking we do is not
really an exact science?  What would we talk about if it was? : )

Joyous holidays and blessings untold,

Jenny
Mark and Jen Wesner
mwnjw@iei.net