French Bread

"stef" <gaggini@gate.usaor.net>
Tue, 13 Jan 1998 10:41:15 +0000
v098.n005.15
I amazed myself last week and made Some French bread loaves. I was
always worried about misting the loaves with water while baking,
(some kind of weird phobia I guess) but I got over it and made some
wonderful bread in the process.

LauraG
Pittsburgh, PA

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                               French Bread

Recipe By     : Fanny Farmer Baking Book
Serving Size  : 24   Preparation Time :3:00
Categories    : Breads                           Yeast Bread

   1      package       yeast
   2 1/2  cups          warm water
   1      tablespoon    salt
   6 1/2  cups          flour -- up to 7 1/2
   2      tablespoons   cornmeal

Prepare as usual for any yeast bread except for the cornmeal. Let rise until
doubled and punch down. Form into 4 long skinny loaves by rolling a
flat surface. Sprinkle baking pans with cornmeal and place 2 loaves
on each sheet, spray lightly with a water mister, cover and let rise
for 45 minutes. Brush loaves with an egg wash, and slice each bread
with 3 diagonal cuts with a sharp knife. Place in a 450 degree oven
and bake for 15 minutes. Spray breads with a water mist, lower oven
temperature to 375, and bake again for another 15 minutes. Spray
loaves for the last time, and finish baking for 10-15 minutes or
until browned. Remove and cool on wire racks.

NOTES : Bread gets stale in a day, so freeze unused loaves.