Soy flour

"Susan Chapin" <schapin@mitre.org>
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 12:16:54 -0500
v098.n018.11
Soy flour has a very strong, distinctive taste that not everyone likes.
Most recipes call for up to 1/4 cup soy flour per 3-cup loaf of bread.  I
sometimes use a bit more, but not too much.

Also the amount of non-wheat flours you substitute will affect the rise of
the bread, because these flours don't have gluten, or at least most of them
have no gluten and others have different, more fragile type of gluten.  Soy
flour doesn't have any.

Bottom line -- yes you can substitute but not as much as 1 cup per loaf, and
it will affect the taste and the rise.  You may like the taste -- I do --
and can probably afford the rise impact, and soy does add an important amino
acid that will increase the amount of protein you can get out of the bread
(info about protein comes from the Whole Earth Cookbook from about 30 years
ago).

	- susan