Lora Brody's Dessert Bread Book

Ben Strong <strongb@ibm.net>
Mon, 02 Mar 1998 19:29:59 -0500
v098.n020.12
I picked up Ms Brady's book 'Desserts From Your Bread Machine' today
because it has some super sounding recipes. I have a question though.
The book was copyrighted in 1994 and says that only large capacity
machines should be used - those for three cups of flour or more. I have
a Zoji V20 which I would assume she would classify as 'superlarge'! For
that reason, I assume that for best results I should probably increase
the size of the recipes. But how much? Has anyone looked at this book? A
second question refers to the loaf that is baking as I write -
'Butter-Rum Monkey Bread'. For this a syrup of 1/4 stick butter, 1/4 cup
of sugar and 2 TBsp water is brought to a boil and simmered for five
minutes. Then 1/4 cup rum is added and simmered for five minutes more.
Then remove from stove and pour into a small bowl to cool. This is done
whilst the dough is kneading. For the dough, mix 1 large egg, 2 tsp rum
extract, 1/2 stick butter, 3/4 cup milk, 1-1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 cup sugar,
3 cups bread flour and 2 tsp yeast. Use Basic cycle. At the end of the
cycle, dump dough onto floured bowl and, working quickly, dived into 32
balls. Shape into spheres with hands. Dip balls into syrup and place
back into pan, making several layers. Place pan back into machine and
allow to complete rising and baking. Any excess syrup can be used as a
dip. I wonder if the blades shouldn't be removed before the dough balls
are placed back in the pan? But this might interfere with the
'knock-down' after the first and second rise? Has anyone tried this
recipe?  Thanks. Ben Strong.