Ascorbic acid test

Ruth Provance <rprovanc@gmu.edu>
Mon, 02 Mar 1998 23:45:25 -0800
v098.n020.15
Dear Bakers,

Thank you so much for all the advice on finding Ascorbic Acid powder.  I
finally wised up and looked in the vitamin section of Fresh Fields where
I should have looked before.  I was looking in the baking section.  I
will make the dough enhancer one of these days, but first I had to check
out the use of ascorbic acid by itself.

Once again, I baked two batches of Ruth's Daily Bread:
http://www.upword.com/bread/daily.html

The plan was to make identical batches, but due to a measuring
malfunction involving a large jar of honey, the batch with the ascorbic
acid in it had other variables present, so I could not draw any
conclusions.  For the record, the dough with the ascorbic acid and the
extra honey was softer and rose faster than the dough without.  Next
time, I will use sugar or something easier to measure.

My husband, who has training as a biologist, points out that scientific
experiments cannot be validated until they are replicated.  I encourage
all of you bakers out there to try comparing all the dough enhancers and
yeasts and tricks we have been learning about in this list, and share
your results with the rest of us.

Keep Baking Bread!

Ruth