Re: Digest bread-bakers.v098.n020

Jay Hosler <jhosler@cisco.com>
Sun, 8 Mar 1998 00:28:11 -0800 (PST)
v098.n022.4
> From: "Jo in Minnesota" <josiem@tekstar.com>
>
> It would be easy to do a suitable sugar-free bread.  You could use
> one teaspoon of sugar to feed the yeast, which would be negligible
> sugar for any diabetic, and then go ahead with the rest of the recipe,
> just omitting any more sugar than that.  I do feel that you
> do need to "feed" the yeast with one teaspoon of sugar, though,
> whether it be honey, syrup or molasses.  Any will work fine.
>
> Another thought would be sourdough bread, which uses small
> amounts of sugar.
>
> Jo in Minnesota
> Diabetic Type II

You don't even need the teaspoon of sugar, whether you use sourdough or
commercial yeast.  I do it all the time.  Sugar in French Bread is unacceptable
in France.  Flour alone feeds the yeast perfectly well.  Converting the flour
to sugar takes time, and so when you use sugar the bread might rise a bit
faster -- but no higher: the more sugar you use, the faster the bread rises,
and the sooner it peaks.  Sugar is a optional taste ingredient in bread, not a
necessity.

Jay