Whole wheat sourdough in ABM

Lenny Garfinkel <lenny@inter.net.il>
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 13:01:05 +0300
v098.n027.7
I've seen lots of questions about sourdough lately, so I thought I'd send in
my recipe which I have been using for over a year.  I have completely given
up on recipes which require dry yeast.

First, you need a good starter.  I bought a sample from a woman in Jerusalem
who makes whole wheat sourdough for her restaurant.  I have also used the
Russian starter from Sourdoughs International with good results.  I have
never heard anything positive about the Gold Rush starter and would not
waste my time on it.  I'll assume you know how to handle a starter.  I keep
mine in a plastic Rubbermaid container.

I use exclusively organic stone ground whole wheat flour for feeding my
starter and baking.  The evening before baking, I take my starter out of the
frig and feed it with a couple Tbsp flour.  The following morning, take 1/2
cup of starter, 1 cup flour and 3/4 cup water, mix thoroughly in a glass
bowl and leave at room temperature during the day.  In the evening, add this
mixture to your ABM.  The order of addition of ingredients depends on the
machine.  I use the Williams Sonoma.  I have had it for two years and love,
love, love it.  Sorry, I got carried away.

I add 1/3 cup water, about 1-1/2 Tbsp oil and about 1/2 Tbsp honey to the
bowl of the ABM, and then add the starter.  Then, add 1-1/2 cup flour, 1/4
cup gluten (vital wheat gluten), 1 tsp salt, and a handful of pumpkin seeds,
sunflower seeds, flax seeds, or poppy seeds (any others will do, as well).
Bake on French bread cycle.  This means a 5 hour cycle on the WS machine.
You may have to add or subtract from the 1/3 cup water depending on your
flour and the weather in your area.  THe dough should be moist and just
short of sticky. If in doubt, it's always best to start too moist and
gradually add flour.  Adding water to a dough that is too dry is a pain and
rarely comes out good due to poor mixing.

Variations: 1 Tbsp spice (basil, oregano, etc.)

This bread is great with any kind of spread, especially good with shmeared
avocado.  I have NEVER had a problem with spoilage.  I keep the bread out
until I cut the first slice and thereafter I keep it in a food storage bag
at room temperature.  The bread lasts for a week with no problem.

This is a variation of a recipe I got off the net nearly two years ago.  I
wish I could give credit to the person who originally posted it, but I lost
the original post.

Good luck!

Lenny Garfinkel
Leonard Garfinkel, Ph.D.