RE: US Bread Machines in Europe

Mitch Smith <smithm@mvp.net>
Sun, 10 May 1998 15:49:38 -0500
v098.n038.4
Farnes_Quinn <Farnes_Quinn@Allergan.com> wrote:

>Andreas asked about running a bread machine manufactured for the US
>market in Europe.

>Two problems arise in trying to do so.  The first is that the standard
>for electrical power throughout the US is 110 volts alternating current
>(AC) at 60 Hertz (Hz).  European electrical power is 220 volts AC at 50
>Hz.  While it is true that you can use a transformer to cut the voltage
>to an acceptable level, the frequency will remain at 50 Hz, and each of
>the timing steps the bread machine performs  will be about 20 percent
>too long.

The timing issue is most likely not a problem. What you state about
the 50HZ vs 60HZ issue is only true for timing device run by a
synchonous motor like the clocks many of remember from our
school rooms.

These days most small appliances have their timing controlled by a
computer clock chip which runs off of DC current - just like your
computer.

The transformer should work just fine as long as it can handle the
wattage required by the bread machine.