freezing rolls, chocolate rollups

Lee & Bill <steiconi@hotcoco.infi.net>
Sun, 10 May 1998 21:27:03 -0700
v098.n038.6
Laurie asked about freezing rolls; I do it all the time.  Let them cool
completely first, then wrap airtight.  Reheat at 300 degrees for about
10-15 minutes.

Instead of muffin tins, I make "pinch-offs"--constrict your
(well-floured) thumb and forefinger around a portion of dough (somewhere
between a large walnut and a small kiwifruit in size for individual
rolls), and squeeze until the portion is separated from the rest of the
dough.  This makes lovely round rolls without a lot of fuss.  Place them
an inch or two apart on a greased pan for pull-aparts, or further apart
for individual rolls.  Let rise, and bake.

My mom's a real chocaholic, so I made this variation on cinnamon buns
for her on Mothers Day:

Chocoholic Rollups
Dough--you can substitute your favorite rich/sweet bread or cinnamon bun
dough recipe, or use this one for a 2-lb breadmaker:
1/2 cup milk
1/4 c oil
3 TBS sugar
1-1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c oatbran
1/4 c cocoa
4 c flour (I use all-purpose, bread flour works too, or half white/half
whole wheat)
2-1/2 tsp yeast
Mix and knead as usual (I use a bread machine, dough setting), and let
rise twice.
Divide in two portions.  Roll each 1/2" thick.
Spread 4 oz softened cream cheese on each portion (8 oz total)
Sprinkle 2 Tbs granulated sugar on each portion (4 Tbs total)
Sprinkle 1/4 c chocolate chips on each portion and press in (1/2c total)
brush water or milk around the edges of the dough
roll up jelly-roll or cinnamon bun style and seal seam
slice into 1" thick pieces and place about an inch apart, flat in
greased pan (the recipe will fill two 8" round pans, with a little left
over)
let rise again for 30 minutes
Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, rotate them from front to back of
oven, then bake for another 5 to 10 minutes, until they turn brown (hard
to see, since the dough is dark with cocoa).
Delicious warm--mom took home the second pan of buns!

Apple-Cinnamon variation:
substitute oat bran for cocoa (3/4 c total)
mix, rise & roll out as above
omit cream cheese and chocolate chips
Mix together 4 Tbs sugar, 2 tsp cinnamon, and 4 cored, chopped apples
(and a little lemon juice if desired)
spread apple mix over rolled-out dough
roll and bake as above.
These have gone to three potlucks, and I never get to take any home!

Lee M-S
--
Wings & Things  http://members.tripod.com/~wingsnthings/index.htm
Storm Steiger http://members.tripod.com/~wingsnthings/kayak.htm