Re: 7-grain cereal

"J. Mathew" <joanm@bigfoot.com>
Tue, 26 May 1998 08:33:22 -0500
v098.n041.4
> From: "Jane D. Fidler" <jgfidler@richnet.net>
> Subject: 7-gain cereal
> Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 20:46:38 -0400
>
> I have a question regarding the 7-grain cereal I often see listed as
> an ingredient. I have looked high and low (literally) in the cereal
> aisle at the grocery store but have not been able to find any thing
> called 7-grain cereal. I did find a box of whole grains called
> 7-grain cereal in the "health food" aisle that must be cooked (20
> min in boiling water) before eating. Is this the stuff I should buy?
> And if so, do I cook it before using it in my bread recipe? Thanks,
> J. Fidler

I am fairly certain that you can substitute any granola-type cereal
for the 7-grain cereal.  They don't carry 7-grain where I live,
either, but the other will work fine.  You can make your own granola,
too...that works nicely in bread recipes.

Incidentally, depending upon the recipe you're using, you can
purchase multi-grain (also referred to as multi-seed) mixes from
places like King Arthur (http://www.kingarthurflour.com).  I've used
these in a lot of my breads and it really adds nice flavor and
texture.  I have also discovered that using cracked flax seed in my
baked goods (yeast breads, muffins, etc.) is really nice.

Hope that helps,
Joan