Re: making bread in food processors

"J. Mathew" <joanm@bigfoot.com>
Tue, 26 May 1998 08:33:22 -0500
v098.n041.7
> From: Ruth Provance <rprovanc@gmu.edu>
> Subject: Food processors
> Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 23:39:38 -0700
>
><snip>
> Does anyone out there have any specific advice for using the food
> processor for making yeast bread?  Any general advice or specific
> books to read would be appreciated.

Ruth,
  My Cuisinart came with a little recipe book that included a couple
of nice bread recipes.  I didn't care so much about the recipes
themselves since most standard yeast breads follow the same basic
formulas of flour/liquid/etc., but the technique is what is
important.  The book with my Cuisinart said that the dough blade
should be used for recipes that use more than 3 cups of flour -- I'm
going by memory here so am not quoting directly -- but the metal
blade for recipes using less than 3 cups of flour.  I also recall
that most of the recipes seem to call for kneading/processing the
dough for approximately 90 seconds and no more.  I have done this on
a number of different recipes and it seems to be a good rule to
follow.  My bread always rises very nicely and is developed properly
throughout.

  Incidentally, I have a 14-cup Cuisinart -- though I wish I had the
bigger one.  I really prefer my KitchenAid Proline (5-quart, 325w)
mixer for making bread as I can make it in more quantity than the
Cuisinart, but the Cuisinart does a nice job, too.  My only complaint
is that I can only make 1 loaf of bread in the Cuisinart!  My
KitchenAid handles dough for 2 loaves, but by hand I generally make a
recipe for 4-6 loaves at a time.

  If you go to some of the online bookstores, such as Amazon
(http://www.amazon.com) or Barnes&Noble
(http://www.barnesandnoble.com) you can look up bread making books
using a food processor.  Use the keywords "food processor bread" and
it will come up with a list of books specifically about this subject.
 I don't have any in my personal collection, but I've seen them at my
public library, too.  After doing a few recipes you kind of pick up
the technique and don't need the specialized books anymore.

Hope that helps a bit,
Joan