Featherweight BakePowder, Injera, Zo V20 and Pizza

"Donna M. Walter" <dmwalter@tradenet.net>
Fri, 19 Jun 98 00:01:02 -0500
v098.n047.1
New subscriber first posting  with  several responses after  browsing
the archives looking for a possible translation to  the ABM of my
best carrot cake recipe. Traded a cheese cake recipe for the CC
recipe of  Gladys Green,  a Philadelphia Girl Scout leader in 1970.
Thank you Gladys.

1). For bakers who would like to buy Baking Powder without cornmeal,
I suggest a product I have not used yet --*Featherweight Baking
Powder*.  Gluten Free, Cereal Free, Sodium Free. "New Better Rise".
Contains: Monocsalcium Phosphate,  Potato Starch, Potassium
Bicarbonate. Mfd. by the Estee Corporation - Parsippany, N. J.
07054-1904

2). I have a recipe for * Injera (Ethiopian Bread) * I saved from the
Philadelphia Inquire in 1983 after having dinner at a restaurant
reviewed.  But, "this version has been adapted for the American
kitchen and won't  take three days to make". I will search the
Inquire archives for  the original article.
**4 cups self-rising flour, 1 cup whole-wheat flour-1 teaspoon baking
powder-2 cups club soda-4 cups water. Combine flours and baking
powder in a bowl. Add the club soda and the water. Mix into a smooth,
fairly thin batter. Heat nonstick skillet. ...As with crepes be
careful not too cook them too long resulting in a bread that may be
tasty but won't  fold around the bits of stew.  The initial
response to the Digest inquiry (in 1986) was more authentic.

3). I have just purchased a *Zojirushi V20* that replaced my first
machine, a 1990 (year) Hitachi  (it has a good new home -- I wanted
to buy a bread machine with a  few more bells and whistles).  I
stopped making bread, for some reason, after 1995,  but   made dog
biscuits weekly.  This is a heavy dough and was  handled very well by
the Hitachi as well as cooking  brown rice!  I got the Zo because of
the dough handling capability learned via The Bakers Catalog Reviews
and have turned out some good bread,  great dog biscuits, and Pizza
Dough. For basic Pizza Dough. James McNair's Vegetarian Pizza recipe
went from my Kitchen Aid mixer to the bread machine very well. I will
experiment with variations I have learned from the Digest.   Thank you.