Sour dough starter

"Jennings, Diane " <JenningsD@missouri.edu>
Mon, 29 Jun 1998 09:19:02 -0500
v098.n050.10
Hi,

I was visiting my Mother in Denver last week and found the Fleischmans
sourdough / yeast packets.. The cost is $3.00 for 3 packets.. has anyone
tried using their pre packaged sourdough mix in a home starter so that
you don't have to keep buying the stuff?? I thought Fleischmans has done a
good job with the flavor : )

Let me know what you think about trying the following:

                    SOUR DOUGH STARTER FOR BREADMAKER
                            (modified)

Recipe By     :
Categories    : Breadmaker                       Breads

   1       c            Skim milk
   3       tb           Plain yogurt
   1       c            Flour
   1       pkt          Fleishcmans sourdough ****************
   1                    (6 cup) ceramic or glass
                        -container with tight
                        -fitting lid

 1. Heat skim milk to 90-100F. Remove from heat and stir into
yogurt.   2. Allow to stand at room temperature 18-24 hours or until
curds form.  Stir with wooden spoon once or twice to keep liquid mixed
in.
  3.  Gradually stir in flour and fleischmans mix; mix well.  Allow to
stand 2 to 5 days.
   4. When starter is ready it is bubbly and spongy looking and has a
good sour aroma.  Starter should be kept in the refrigerator after
this five day period.
  5. To use starter bring to room temperature and allow it to get
bubly again before using it.
  6. Replenish starter after each use with equal portions of milk and
flour.  Example: If using 1 1/2 cups add 1 1/2 cups each: milk & flour.
  7. Repeat steps 1, 2, and 3.

Thanks,

Diane Jennings
Registration & Admissions