Re Re: Need KA tips

TaktEZ@aol.com
Thu, 9 Jul 1998 21:42:32 EDT
v098.n051.19
Hi again Helen

In yesterdays post I made a statement that I thought might need some
clarification.  I said:

<"Actually, I think you answered your own question in your last sentence when
<you said, "I'd rather let the  KA do the work--."  Do just that.  About the
time you <decide to add more flour---, don't.  Let the machine work a little
longer maybe <three of four more minutes.  If the dough still hasn't become a
smooth ball by then <begin slowly adding more flour or water as needed.  It's
not that easy to over <knead dough with the KA mixer so please don't worry
about that.  In fact, the <instructions in the KA owners manual are almost a
sure formula for failure <because they indicate adding flour much sooner in
the process than is really <necessary.  "

First off, I didn't mean to put KitchenAid down in any way.  I am extremely
pleased with the machine and haven't touched my ABM since purchasing the KA.
I do however, think the instructions for preparing bread dough are a little
misleading.

What I meant to say was as follows:   Once you have added about enough flour
to reach the amount called for in your recipe, and assuming the ratio of
liquid to flour in the recipe is correct, stop adding more flour and let the
machine work a while.  Then, if you still think more flour is needed use
caution when adding more.  The KA instructions lead one to believe that you
should just keep adding flour until the desired stiffness is reached.  Not so.
Actually, after a few minutes of kneading, what appeared to a be a too moist
dough will usually achieve the perfect consistency.  At that point the gluten
has been thoroughly developed.

When using the KA to knead dough I do it a little differently than they
recommend.  I put in all of the dry ingredients at one time.  I do not
withhold 1/2 cup as recommended.  Then I slowly add the liquid.  After the
machine has kneaded for about 4 or 5 minutes I adjust the flour or water as
necessary adding only small amounts at a time until the proper consistency is
reached.  Then I knead it a few more minutes.  It works every time.

Hope this helps you understand what I was trying to say.

Happy Baking!

Don