Why a bread machine?

JanTink@aol.com
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 22:42:25 EDT
v098.n057.17
Dear folks,

Rosemary asks why anyone who likes to make bread would buy a bread machine
instead of a kitchenaid mixer.

I spent some time in my first apartment experimenting with bread baking and
was enchanted by the process. It was the perfect bread baking apartment: sub-
level, it had just enough humidity for perfect bread rising and the perfect
countertop for kneading dough. After I moved from this perfect bread baking
place I always promised myself that someday I would get back to bread baking
again. I married and for some reason, there was never the perfect, slightly
perfect, or even adequate place for baking bread. Other hobbies intruded
themselves, other branches of cooking dominated.

Finally I ended up here in this less than adequate kitchen in my present home.
I don't seem to have any prospects of moving soon or renovating it at the
present time. There is not a good piece of kneading countertop in the whole
kitchen. The lack of counterspace is compounded by the juxtaposition of the
two available hunks of counter with the sink. One hunk is reserved for dirty
dishes (hate dishes in the sink!) The other is the work area and it is
difficult to set aside enough space with out getting flour all over
everything. That and the addition of two small people beneath my feet was
enough to drive my bread baking dreams into the closet. I still have dreams of
that kitchenaid, but other necessities intrude, including the imminent death
of my T-Fal chicken frier, which I intend to replace with something more
permanent (hence more expensive).

So a bread machine is a reasonable alternative for me. With my kids I find
available hunks of time in the kitchen devoted to preparing meals which do not
take much time or attention. With a bread machine, as soon as they go down for
their naps, I can load up the machine and forget it. Gone are the days when
those hopeful little packets of yeast expire in my refrigerator because I
never got around to using them.

Some day I hope to do some more experimenting with hand kneaded bread, but at
the present time a bread machine is my only option. It keeps my interest awake
and it is nice to have some fresh bread on occasion.

I lurk mostly on this list, but occasionally you may hear from me.

Janine