bread that doesn't crumble

"J. Mathew" <joanm@bigfoot.com>
Sun, 16 Aug 1998 09:40:29 -0500
v098.n059.18
> >I'd like a machine recipe for wheat bread that won't crumble when you
> >make a sandwich with it.  The one I have works okay the first day, but
> >then it's oy but that nly good for croutons!

I missed the original post on this, but I thought that perhaps I could offer
a few thoughts on the subject.  I should point out that I do not have a
bread machine, but make all my own bread either entirely by hand or
with the assistance of my KitchenAid or Cuisinart.

That being said, I can think of 2 things that (based on my experiences)
tend to cause crumbly bread:

1)  too much flour has been used, causing a dry loaf
2)  the dough has not been kneaded thoroughly and/or properly, and the
gluten has not been developed sufficiently.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how the latter problem could be remedied
in a bread machine since I don't know how they're set up to work;
however, the first can generally be remedied to some degree by using a
recipe that one knows to be reliable under most circumstances.  I've
found that some recipes tend to be waaay out of kilter (I tried one
yesterday from a brand-new bread book and found it to be completely
unacceptable).  I would normally offer you some of the many bread
recipes on my Web page, except they're not converted for bread
machine use.

Perhaps other list members can help with this issue, but my
observations of many bread machine recipes posted seems to indicate
that they often take about 3 to 3-1/4 cups of flour and about 1 to 1-1/4
cups of liquid.  If I'm right, then it appears that most bread recipes could
be converted to a bread machine fairly easily.  It also appears that the
machines use approximately 1 packet of bread machine yeast (based
on my previous phone call to Fleischmann's, this is apparently the
same product as rapid-rise instant yeast), which is a quantity of 2-1/4
tsp.  If anyone has any Web sites that have conversion information like
this (standard to bread machine) or further comments I would be
interested in finding out.  This has always been a subject of interest to
me since we have such a varied membership here on the list and
elsewhere in the bread-making world.

Hope my comments regarding the crumbly bread help a little.  As I said,
I don't have a bread machine so I don't know if you can really control
some things like the method or kneading time.

Joan