Rolled bread with pesto filling

Ruth Provance <rprovanc@gmu.edu>
Sat, 29 Aug 1998 15:31:55 -0700
v098.n062.7
Patrice wrote:

<<Hello - I need some advice regarding a recipe I threw together.
Yesterday I made a rolled bread using pesto as a filling.  The bread
itself was tasty, but I was disappointed that yet another of my "rolled"
breads came out with air pockets between the layers.  Any advice on
avoiding this separation of bread & filling?>>

I have often thought that a bread with pesto filling would be yummy!
Good for you for trying it.

As far as keeping the bread from forming the big pockets, I think part
of the problem is the oil in the pesto.  It would keep the dough from
sticking together as it should.

I just read an article about cinnamon swirl bread in "Cooks Illustrated"
magazine.  The main point the author made about avoiding the big pockets
was to have a soft dough.  Don't add too much flour.  The method
mentioned was to mix until you have a soft dough, then squeeze with a
clean, dry hand.  If the dough does not stick to your hand, then there
is enough, but not too much, flour in the dough.  In the formation of
the loaf, the points were not to roll the dough too thinly, or the
filling escapes and burns in the pan, to leave a 1/2 inch border at the
end, to pinch the dough together firmly when rolling it up, and to seal
the seam and ends completely.

I sometimes make bread with pesto, but I add the pesto to the dough
itself.  I make my own pesto and freeze it in ice-cube trays, then add
one cube per cup of water in my bread recipe.  Makes a lovely green
dough!

Good luck!

Keep baking bread!

Ruth