UK Bread Bakers

jlee@cccp.net (John Lee)
Sun, 30 Aug 1998 23:19:14 +0100
v098.n064.10
Vernon Webster and John Coppard have sent messages in response to my
original comments regarding flours available in the UK. My objective in
trying to use cheap UK flour is to be able to make a regular white loaf for
day-to-day use, and to only use the more expensive flours to experiment with
different breads to give variety. My white bread experiments have been based
on the need, as I see it, to arrive at a recipe using consistently identical
ingredients to take all guess work out of the picture.

Several supermarkets sell flour at 12p for 1.5 kgs, but I have checked all
the labels and by far the best of the bunch is Safeway's Saver which has a
protein level of 10.2 percent. However this is not high enough to produce a
good loaf, and I learned that you need higher protein of say around 14
percent at least to get a good loaf. One way to increase the protein is to
add wheat gluten, but although I have received a couple of suggestions as to
where to get it, these sources have been nowhere in my area.  As for local
sources, so-called health food stores don't even know what I am talking
about when I ask for wheat gluten!!

Now for the good news. I was walking down a footpath near my home, a path I
have used many times. It skirts an industrial estate, and on this particular
occasion, I could smell bread baking. I explored the estate next day and
found a bakery. Not only that, it was run by the only master baker left in
town. He was extremely friendly, said he could supply wheat gluten, but that
I really should be trying is the commercial flour improver which he uses. He
gave me a sample and I don't really know what's in it, but he mentioned
Vitamin C, a sugar substitute, maybe some gluten as well. Whatever is in it
the results are magical. The bread rises to the top of the pan, it doesn't
collapse, it is beautifully soft, tastes wonderful, cuts beautifully and
lasts a good 3 days.

He said that he would sell the improver and that it is not expensive. Based
on that I reckon that including electricity I can make a one and half pound
loaf (using the cheap flour) for something around 16/17pence. He also said
that he uses cold water (not 70 F) and that seems to work fine.

On Tuesday this week I am leaving on a six weeks holiday so will be signing
off the bread group for a while, but when I return and have managed to
purchase some of the 'magical' flour improver I will come back and post the
recipe.

As I am signing off, if anybody wishes to add to the subject can they please
copy it to me direct by e-mail so that I can pick the message up when I get
back?

Thanks a lot

John
John Lee (UK)