Sweetcorn Bread by hand

Vernon Webster <vernon@the-spa.demon.co.uk>
Tue, 24 Nov 98 01:05:24 +0000
v098.n078.8
Hello all,
     Thought I'd pass on the results of a recent successful experiment.
I'm afraid I cannot give accurate measurements as I adjust things as I go
along.  The method can also be shortened by missing out the sponging.
Please read through before trying - just in case I have made a mistake.

Starting Ingredients:-
1/2 oz fresh yeast
1 pound of strong unbleached white flour
1/2 pound of maize flour
15 fluid oz of cold water
3 cobs of fresh sweet corn (or canned equivalent)
1 heaped teaspoon of good flavoured honey
about 2 oz of good flavoured butter (try organic if possible)
1/2 oz of salt

Method:-
1/   Mix yeast, honey and cold water together.
2/   Put both flours in a bowl, make a well in the centre and place yeast
mixture in it.
3/   Mix some of the flour with the liquid to make a thick batter.
4/   Cover with a damp tea towel and leave to sponge for an hour or two.
5/   Whilst this is happening cut the corn off the cobs and fry - do not
overcook or brown
       the sweet corn. Leave to cool.
6/   When the sponge is ready knead the dough, adding the salt and sweet
corn in butter. I
       use an electric mixer to knead.
7/   The dough will probably be very wet so, after a couple of minutes of
kneading start
       adding more of the flours (hand kneaders may have to do this
sooner) until the correct
       dough consistency is reached.
8/   Cover and leave to rise in a cool place for about 3 hours. Climate
and time of year will
       make a difference (I'm in mostly cool England) but I like to 'over
rise' at this stage. It
       is possible to use a shorter time if preferred.
9/   Second rise until just under doubled in size - this takes only about
30 mins for me.
10/  Brush with milk or water and rub in maize flour for a nice topping.
11/ Preheat oven and bake as normal at temperatures which suit your oven.
I like to heat
       the oven  with a tray of water at the bottom.

Variation: Add fresh chillies to taste to the sweet corn.

Serving suggestions for when the bread is a little passed fresh. I tried
these and found the combinations delicious - Sorry not for anyone
watching calories or fat intake.

1/ Slow oven roast ripe tomatoes in olive oil ( sprinkled with freshly
ground pepper and
     serve on toasted bread.

2/ Slow roast in olive oil (as above) red peppers and chillies and garlic
(in skin).
     Cover the roasted peppers and leave to sweat then remove the skin.
     Squeeze garlic from its skins.
     Mix this garlic puree with the soft pepper flesh and chopped chilli
     Mix with butter, salt, pepper and fresh (or dried) parsley and/or
marjoram.
     Spread liberally on the Sweet Corn Bread and cook in the oven (in
tin foil) as garlic bread
     - opening foil for end of cooking.

          Hope you enjoy and that I haven't made any mistakes.
                    Vernon.

Vernon Webster
Harrogate
North Yorkshire