Re: Digest bread-bakers.v099.n001-poolish vs biga

"Bob Leonard, Jr." <bleonard@bobleonard.com>
Sat, 02 Jan 1999 08:07:58 -0600
v099.n002.4
> --------------- MESSAGE bread-bakers.v099.n001.5 ---------------
>
> From: Mitch Smith <smithm@mvp.net>
> Subject: Poolish
> Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 19:01:08 -0600
>
> One of my favorite techniques in bread baking is to start
> with a "poolish." This is a French term for a starter made
> of only flour, water and yeast, kneaded well with the
> paddle blade on a KA or similar mixing method.

Is this the equivalent of the Italian "Biga"?  It seems
similar.  The biga can be frozen to use later.  Is this just
to be used immediately?  I have only used a biga once (with
so-so results) and would like to know more about it if
anyone has any info on that process.

I would also ask if this could be used without an ABM but I
will have found that out before you could reply.  I intend
to do just that today.