RECIPE: Ciabatta with Olives and Italian Herbs

"J. Mathew" <joanm@bigfoot.com>
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 07:22:40 -0600
v099.n004.13
Recently I've been extremely busy with work, studies, etc., and this bread
has become one of my "easy favorites" to make.  The sponge can be made
ahead of time, and I've left it in the refrigerator for as long as a week
and had great results.  It is super-easy to make, requiring a single rise
before it gets popped into the oven.

I highly recommend a baking stone for this bread, because it gets a
wonderful crust and puffs up very nicely when baked directly on the stone.

The shaping of the bread is also relatively freeform, and I've divided the
dough into 2-4 portions, resulting in round, oval, or squarish shaped
"loaves".

If you want to make a kind of "plain" bread that's good for toast and
jelly, butter, honey, etc., you can simply omit the herbs, onion, and
olives.

Enjoy!
Joan