Recipes for Kids

ICOMM Recruiting <arlyne@icommrecruiting.com>
Wed, 03 Feb 1999 11:29:05 -0800
v099.n010.8
>Hi All!!
>I need a little help.
>I am looking for a bread recipe that my kids will really like.  I have four
>kids and I make them lunch for school and my teenagers hate my bread.  They
>like the prepackaged mix I buy from Costco.  I know there has to be one I can
>make that they will like.
>
>Thanks a lot
>Nan

Hi Nan,
My kids didn't really like any of the recipes I was trying, until I started
making Challah, an egg bread. I usually make the dough in the machine and
then braid it and bake it in the oven, but I've also baked it in the
machine, and it's good that way, too. I don't know where I got the recipe
-- it may have even been in the Digest. Anyway, here it is:

Challah

7/8 c water
1/2 Tbsp salt
1/4 c honey
2 eggs (beaten)
1/4 c butter (I use canola oil and it works fine)
4 c flour (I use regular unbleached)
2 t yeast

If you bake it in the oven, you can brush an egg wash on it (1 egg yolk, 2
tsp water) right before putting it in. This makes for a softer crust, so my
kids eat it, whereas the machine-baked crust is harder, and they don't eat it!

Good luck!
Arlyne