Adjusting recipes

"Mega-bytes" <Mega-bytes@email.msn.com>
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 11:32:29 -0500
v099.n012.22
Jeanie Wrote:

>I waited all week for this week's digest because last week someone
>asked about converting recipes for machine-made bread to that made the
>old-fashioned way.
>If there were any responses to that request I missed them!  If anyone
>would provide advice or guidance along these lines, it would be appreciated.

>Thanks.  Jeanie

Jeanie,

Here is some information I have.

Martha

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                 Converting Recipes To Non-Bread Machine

Recipe By     : J. Mathew" <joanm@bigfoot.com
Categories    : Breads/Information

                        *none*

Here is the general sequence I follow when reading a bread machine
recipe:

1.  Add dry ingredients to bowl, except for yeast; whisk to blend.

2.  Add yeast to bowl (I use instant yeast, so I don't proof it); whisk
to blend.

3.  Add liquid ingredients (e.g., water, milk, honey, yogurt, sour
cream, etc.

4.  If using mixer, knead 8-9 minutes (approx)

5.  Remove dough to lightly-greased bowl; let rise until doubled

6.  Punch down; repeat rising

7.  Punch down; shape into loaves (or other forms); let rise

8.  Bake -- most standard yeast breads bake at 375-450 degrees
Fahrenheit, minus 25 degrees if you're using a convection oven.  You can
look at standard recipes that are similar and judge accordingly for the
temperature.  Bake until bread tests done (either by taking internal
temperature of loaves or until loaves sound hollow when thumped -- rolls
will bake for less time).

That's a very generalized sequence, but it always works for me.
Differences might arise if I'm making a specialized type of bread, such
as refrigerator dough, brioche, cinnamon rolls, etc., where you have
rising time in the refrigerator, or special shaping methods, etc.  Any
good cookbook (esp.  those specializing in yeast breads) will have
recipes that can help you to learn the standard methodology for all of
these techniques.

MC formatted/Busted by Martha Hicks 5/98