Breadsticks

"Laura" <torte@stargate.net>
Sun, 28 Feb 1999 10:59:21 -0500
v099.n014.6
After subbing and unsubbing over the past couple of years, I think I
am here to stay. I am a hand bread baker and I decided to try my
luck on breadsticks. I was suprised how easy they are, and my
family wiped them out it no time.

Laura

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                          Best-Ever Breadsticks

Recipe By     : Country Woman Magazine
Serving Size  : 24   Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Breads

   1 1/2  cups          milk
   2      tablespoons   sugar
   2      teaspoons     salt
   2      tablespoons   butter
   2      packages      yeast
     1/2  cup           warm water
   6      cups          flour
                        butter -- melted

In a saucepan, heat milk, sugar, salt, and butter.  Cool to
lukewarm.

In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.   Combine milk
mixture, yeast, and 1 1/2 cup  flour; beat till smooth.  Add enough
remaining flour to form a stiff dough.  Turn out onto a lightly floured
surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes.

Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.  Cover and let
rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.

Punch dough down.  Pinch off dough, and roll into long strips.
Place strips on greased baking sheets 1" apart.  Brush with melted
butter.  Cover and let rise 15 minutes.

Bake at 400F for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.

NOTES : These are very good, texture is tender