Tile baking stones

"Larry Allis" <allis@sosbbs.com>
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 20:09:57 -0500
v099.n019.7
>I recently went to a kitchen store and almost fell over at the price of
>their baking stones....so.....being a frugal soul I went to our local
>tile store and purchased an 'unglazed' 'stone' tile....remember, the key
>words here are 'unglazed' and 'stone'..  Came home and baked a perfectly
>wonderful loaf of bread on my $2.50 baking stone....just an idea that
>some of you might like to try.  Tile is 12"x12" and two would not fit
>side by side in my oven, just something to keep in mind if you did use
>this idea and wanted the extra size for breadsticks etc.  I'm sure they
>would cut 3" or so off of one tile.
>Joan(64+)

Hi to Joan and everybody:

They will definitely cut the tiles to suit, for a little or nothing.

Everyone always specifies "unglazed" tiles for baking purpose. Those are
hard to find unless you strike a well-stocked place. So after asking a
couple of tile people about it in the badly-stocked local places, I fell
back on big ordinary-tile glazed ones from the odds and ends box. Only a
quarter apiece, but you have to get the glue off the back yourself. I have
been assured -- by store people who don't necessarily know what they're
doing -- that there is nothing in the glaze to harm anybody.

Has anyone any authoritative information about why "unglazed" is such a
fabulous key word? My glazed jobbies bake perfectly OK. I made a little
stack of them to give me some thermal mass, and the effect is fine, far
better than the wretched pizza-pan thing that exploded.

But should I chuck out the glazed tiles before I get lead poisoning, or
something?

Larry Allis
allis@sosbbs.com
new list member