Bar B Q breads

"Michaluk" <michaluk@direct.ca>
Sun, 23 May 1999 08:59:33 -0700
v099.n027.7
Reggie asked for recipes for breads to do on the Bar B Q.
1. I cook my pizzas directly on the grill, with no pan with great success.
Simply get the barby very hot, then turn one side to very low, leaving the
other side on full.  Place the dough directly on the grill on the low side
for about 2 minutes.  Remove from the barby, flip dough over, add the
toppings of your choice, and put back on the grill for about 5 - 8 minutes.
The first step of the two minute cook on the one side can be done a couple
of hours ahead so that if you are doing these for a group, you don't have
too long to wait.

2.  When I make foccacia bread, I shape them in foil pie plates.  After they
have risen the requisite amount of time, they can be cooked on the barby the
same as in an oven, assuming that your  barby has reasonable temperature
control.  I usually place the foil pan on what is usually used as the bun
warming rack, or as with the pizza trick, turn one side low and leave the
other sufficiently high to give a temp of around 375 - 400.
The foccacia's in the foil pans also freeze very well.  Simply shape the
dough and put into the oiled pan, then place it in a well oiled zip lock bag
and freeze.  When you are ready to use, remove from the freezer and bag,
cover and let it thaw out - takes several hours, dimple it, sprinkle with
salt, olives or whatever you use, and bake it when it has risen enough.
There are no specific instructions for this as regards time, etc - after
all, it is bread, not a life choice!

Linda