2 more sours

Fri, 02 Jul 1999 14:57:24 -0700
v099.n032.7
Here are a couple of sours you might enjoy trying.  I suspect that the Sd
starter means standard starter.

Cornbread
Extra Sour Sourdough Bread

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                                Cornbread

Recipe By     : Rosemary Grimm <bf940@lafn.org>
Categories    : Breads                           Sourdoughs
                Bread Bakers Mailing List

   1      C             Sd Starter -- Activated
     1/2  C             Milk -- Or
                        Buttermilk
   1 1/2  C             Cornmeal
   1                    Egg -- Lightly Beaten
   2      Tbsp          Oil
     1/2  Tsp           Salt
   3      Tbsp          Sugar
     1/2  Tsp           Baking Soda

Most cornbread is wonderful hot but gets dry and scratchy when cold. This
cornbread can be eaten cold as well as hot.

Stir together the starter, milk, cornmeal and flour and let it sit,
covered, in a cool place overnight. Heat an oiled iron skillet or a cake
pan in the oven at 400F. When the oven and pan are really hot, stir the
egg, oil, salt, sugar, baking powder and soda into the batter. Pour the
batter into the hot pan and pop it into the oven to bake until done, about
25-30 minutes.

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                        Extra Sour Sourdough Bread

Recipe By     : Rosemary Grimm <bf940@lafn.org>
Categories    : Breads                           Info/Tips
                Sourdoughs                       Bread Bakers Mailing List

*****  NONE  *****

Extra Sour Sourdough Bread

> From a message posted by Barb Beck at news:rec.food.sourdough

Most bread baked from sourdough starters is intended NOT to be very sour.
If you read old cookbooks you find that people went to great length to
avoid sour bread. It was some crazies in the SF Bay area that started
producing not only a fine Mild sourdough loaf but also the extra sour stuff.

The trick to making the extra sour stuff seems to be to leave the starter
at room temperature or warmer for an extended time. I feed mine each day.
It takes a stable starter to do this. The Goldrush starter is too unstable,
Carl Griffiths and the SDI starters work well. It takes weeks for the full
flavor to develop. By leaving it out the beasties get the upper hand,
making the culture quite sour. This also tends to suppress the yeast and if
you are not careful the bread does not rise well. I find that giving the
starter an extra feeding the day before use usually gets the yeast back
into shape.

The other method which I now use is the 2 starter method where I use 1 1/2
cups of the extra sour starter to make a sponge the evening before baking
and 1/2 cup of a refrigerated starter which was brought out and fed the day
before. (For 2 loaves of bread I use 1 1/2 cup of sour culture 2 cups of
bottled water and 2 cups of flour for the sponge. The next day I add the
1/2 cup of the starter activated from the refrigerator, 1 tablespoon of
salt and enough flour to make the dough. I form into loaves immediately,
let rise at about 88 degrees F and bake.) Note: the pot of sour starter
usually has between 2 and 12 cups of starter in it.

Each starter has its own unique flavor which is intensified by letting it
sour. It has been interesting playing with my collection of yeasties and
beasties to see how their flavor develops with time.