Summer Loaf Revisited

ehgf@primenet.com (Ellen)
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 11:34:46 -0700 (MST)
v099.n042.9
Dear Reggie, Jeff and Bread-Baker's Group,

        I was privileged to attend this year's Summer Loaf. My husband (my
biggest bread fan) and I decided to take a "mini- vacation" to Portland so
that I could attend the Summer Loaf Bread Fair, as well as take both George
Greenstein's and Peter Reinhart's classes. It was well worth the trip!

        George's class was held at Bob's Red Mill where we students made a
version of George's rye bread from his, "Secrets of a Jewish Baker".
Meeting George and his wife was a thrill. He is a very nice man who is both
knowledgable and intuitive about his craft. Afterwards we were treated to a
tour of the mill and given some product samples to take home (Thanks,
Bob!).

        Summer Loaf seemed very well attended, despite a light rain.
Besides food (lots of free bread and pastry samples), bread books and
beautiful fruits, vegetables and flowers (it is also a farmer's market),
the "Speaker's Corner" was a great attraction. I was able to listen to
Craig Ponsford (participant in the American win at the Coup du Monde) whose
detailed rendition of that event was fascinating. Amy Scherber("Amy's
Breads"), George Greenstein and Peter Reinhart("Father Juniper's Bread
Book" and "Crust and Crumb") were also featured speakers. What could be
better!...eating, listening and talking *Bread* :-)

        Peter's class was one of the best baking classes I have ever
attended and his knowledge and experience as an instructor at the
California Culinary Institute was very apparant. It was a demonstration
type class of "master formulas" including french bread and Peter's
signature bread, "Struan". Samples of dough and bread at the various stages
were passed around for the students to judge consistency, color, flavor
etc. All the while, Peter mixed, kneaded, baked, talked about techniques,
chemical reactions and answered questions. I highly recommend his classes
to anyone who loves to learn more about the nitty gritty of bread baking.

        I wish to thank everyone connected to Summer Loaf for a wonderful
event. A special thanks to Michael for loaning me, the "out of towner",
equipment to use at George's class and Carolyn, from the Summer Loaf Hot
Line, for her help as well.

                                           Hoping to attend next year,

                                                 Ellen aka Gormay

"Whenever you see food beautifully arranged on a plate, you know someone's
fingers have been all over it.".....Julia Child