Reducing A Commercial Bread Recipe to Home Size Use

Jesse J Wasserman <jessewass@juno.com>
Sun, 5 Sep 1999 20:43:13 -0400
v099.n044.10
I obtained the following commercial bread recipe from the PERRY
Restaurant Group while dining inone of their restaurants in Manchester,
Vermont. The bread was one of the best I have ever eaten and when I saw a
waiter cutting up one of the breads I knew I had to have the
recipe.Unfortunately the recipe makes 9X.8 lb. loaves of bread.
	The recipe call for the following.
Yeast                                                        18 oz.
Warm water,105-110 F.                            1 qt.
Honey                                                         2 cups
High Gluten Flour                                      27 lbs.
Rye Flakes                                                17 lbs
Salt                                                             8.5 oz.
Margerine                                                     2lbs.
Molasses, Black Strap                               1.25 qts
Molasses, Regular Crosby                         1.25 qts.
Water                                                          2 gal.
Preparation
1. Heat a 4 qt steel bowlwith hot(140 F. plus) tap water. Pour off water
and mix the following ingredients:First amount of water(105-110 F.),
honey and yeast. Use a wire whip to incorporate thoroughly. Set aside and
allow yeast to activate
2. Warm Hobart mixing bowl with hot tap water 140F.plus temperature.
3. Warm the molasses.
4. Warm the flour and rye by placing it in a bowl next to the oven.
5. While the yeast is activating, weigh and place into the mixing bowl in
the following order: rye flakes, flour, salt and margerine.
6, Measure 2 gallons of hot tap water(140 F.) Add 1 gallon to flour
mixture. Mix for 2 minutes then add the yeast/water mixture to Hobart
bowl. Mix at first speed.
7. Add molasses and second gallon of water. Use second gallon of hot
water to rinse out molasses container.
8. Mix on speed #1 for 5 minutes
9. Turn Hobart mixing speed up to #2 and mix for 8 minutes. To check if
dough is properly mixed watch as the hook passes through  and works the
dough. The dough should move completely off the sides of the bowl and be
balled around the hook. The dough will have a tacky appearance and all
dry ingredients will be in corporated with none on the sides or bottom of
the bowl.
10. Lower the bowl, remove the dough hook and cover bowl with a plastic
bag. Allow dough to rise and double  in size (about 30-40 minutes)
Forming Loaves
1. When the dough has risen and doubled in size, remove onto a table
which has been sprayed with Vegaline.
2. Cut dough into 8 lb. chunks. Form loaves in football like shapes
measuring about 15 " long x 12" wide x 6" high. Form loaves by folding
dough under and inward. Place formed dough on a parchment paper lined
sheet tray-2 per tray.
Proofing
1. Place trays in warm place in kitchen or proof box to rise. Proof box
setting should be on 120 F. dry heat. Proof until dough has risen to 1
and 1/2 times its size.(about 20-30 minutes). Test risen dough by lightly
pressing your index finger into the side of the loaf. If indentaytion
stays in bread, the loaf has risen to its potential.
Baking
1. Remove bread from proofing box and place in convection oven. Bake at
315 F. for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
2. Remove bread from oven and place on tray rack to cool. Allow to cool
for 2 hours before placing on display racks.
	This was an excellent bread with a great rise, a good crust and a good
texture to the bread itself. I would appreciate it if some one is
familiar enough with bread recipies to be able to reduce this one to two
or three loaves. Incidentally, I do not use a bread machine.
 Jesse Wasserman Jessewass@juno.com