Sourdough Pancakes and Starter

Kejah@aol.com
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 10:27:55 EDT
v099.n051.16
Hello, all!
    I have been "lurking" (that doesn't even sound legal, does it?) for a
while and this is my first attempt to post.  Hope I get it right.
    I seem to remember a recent request for sourdough recipes.  This one is a
waffle recipe from the good folks at King Arthur Flour but we have been
happily using it for pancakes.  As far as my husband is concerned, no other
pancakes even come close to these.  Every year his fishing buddies demand he
bring some starter and make these for their annual fishing trip.

Sourdough Pancakes

2 cups flour (I find that 2 1/4 cups work better for me, but that may be
because I   like to use jumbo eggs)
2 cups warmed buttermilk (4 minutes on Medium in the microwave should do
nicely)
2 T. sugar
1 cup sourdough starter

    Mix this sponge together and let it sit, covered loosely, overnight.  In
the morning mix together the following and add to the sponge:

2 eggs
1/4 cup oil (I like to use Canola Gold, or you could use melted butter)
1/2 to 1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda

    I like to feed my starter the day before I plan to make these for
breakfast so it's light and bubbly when I mix the sponge.  If you don't have
a starter, here's a good recipe for that from Betsy Oppenneer's "The Bread
Book."

Sourdough Starter

3/4 cup plain yogurt (homemade is the best!)
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 cup unbleached flour

    Mix everything together in a 2-quart glass or pottery bowl.  Cover
loosely with plastic wrap and let stand on top of the stove or on the
countertop for 3 days, stirring once a day (don't use a metal spoon).  It
should be bubbly after three days.  Every time you use it, replenish it with
two parts water and three parts flour.

    Enjoy!
    Kris