Stinky salt rising bread

Docia Richard <muleteer@wcnet.net>
Sat, 16 Oct 1999 18:46:03 -0500
v099.n053.14
I read the recent post about the salt rising bread that smelled like dirty
socks- even after baking.  It brought back many memories.  When I was a
child, my father loved to eat salt rising bread, and thus I developed a
taste for it myself.  But even 25 years ago, it was hard to come by.  I
remember my grandma would make it for him on very special occasions and
sometimes a certain bakery would have it.  The smell is unique, I agree.
My sister, who never learned to appreciate salt rising bread, claimed that
it smelled like elephants.  Even after being toasted and buttered.  Heck,
she said it even tasted like elephants smelled, if you can figure that out.

All that to say this:  I'd been eyeing that salt rising yeast in the KA
catalog, but wondered if it would produce a loaf that was the 'real thing'.
Now that MPCUMMINGS has provided such a great olfactory description, I'm
sure it will.  So thank you, I'll be putting in my order for that yeast
right away.  Wonder what my own daughter will think it smells like?

-Docia in TX, a lover of smelly bread.