requests from last digest

susanth@pacinfo.com ( Susan Thomas)
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 17:27:43 -0700
v099.n056.1
I'm new at this, so hopefully this is the correst procedure!

To Karen Colosimo, Re: Struan
        "Brother Juniper's Bread Book" by Br. Peter Reinhart
has a recipe for Struan:  (makes 3 - 1 1/2 lb. loaves)

7 C high-gluten bread flour
1/2 C uncooked polenta
1/2 C rolled oats
1/2 C brown sugar
1/3 C wheat bran
4 tsp. salt, preferably sea salt
2 T + 1 tsp. instant yeast (or 3 T active dry yeast)
1/2 C cooked brown rice
1/4 C honey
3/4 C buttermilk
Approximately 1 1/2 C water
3 T poppy seeds

Mixing:  Mix dry ingredients, including salt and yeast.  Add cooked rice,
honey, buttermilk and mix.  Add 1 C water (reserving 1/2 C for adjustments
during kneading). Squeeze all of this together with your hands until it
makes a ball.  Turn out onto floured counter, begin kneading, adding small
bit of water if needed.

Kneading: Because there are many whole grains, this bread takes longer to
knead, usually 12 - 14 minutes.  Dough will lighten and gradually become
more elastic and evenly grained.  Finished dough should be tacky, but not
sticky, stretchy and elastic.

Proofing: Wash out mixing bowl and dry it.  Put in dough and cover with
plastic wrap, allow dough to rise in warm place for 1 hr. or until roughly
double.

Forming Loaves: Divide dough into thirds, make each into a loaf, placed
into a greased 9 x 4 1/2 bread pan.  Brush with egg wash, sprinkle poppy
seeds on top.

Baking:  Cover and allow dough to rise till it crests over top of pan. Bake
in a preheated 350F oven for about 45 minutes.  It should dome nicely and
be a dark golden color.  If bread comes out of pan light on sides and
bottom, return it to oven (without pan) to finish baking for a few minutes.
 Allow to cool thoroughly for at least 40 minutes before slicing.

I've made this bread (with some slight alterations) and it was just
wonderful!   Good luck.

To Lobo:  Re: German bread called 4 Kornbrot.

        In "The Complete Book of Breads" by Bernard Clayton, Jr., there is
a recipe for Vollkornbrot, described as a "compact Viennese bread full of
wheaty flavor."  It is all whole wheat so will be tacky to knead.

2 pks. dry yeast
Baking pans:
2 C warm water (105-115F)                2  8 1/2 x 4 1/2 , greased
1 pinch sugar
1/2 C non-fat dry milk
1 T salt
1/4 C dark molasses
2 T room temp. butter
6 1/2 C whole wheat flour, approximately
Glaze:  1 egg white, 1/4 C water, 1/2 tsp. salt

Preparation: Dissolve yeast in warm water with sugar, let stand for a few
minutes.

Add milk, salt, molasses and butter. Stir well; add flour one C at a time
until dough is a soft mass. (Add 5th and 6th C with care, as you're kneading.)

Kneading: Use patience and knead about 8 - 10 minutes, adding last of
flour. Shape dough into a ball, put into a greased bowl, turning to grease
all sides, cover with plastic wrap, place in warm (80-85F) place for about
1 1/2 hrs.

Shaping:  Punch down, cut dough into 2 pieces and shape into loaves, put
into greased pans. Cover with wax paper and let rise until dough is at edge
of pans (about an hour).

Baking: Bake in preheated 375F oven after brushing loaves with egg white
mixture.  This bread freezes well.

        I've made this bread, and though not an easy loaf, it was very good!

Note:  In answer to Heather Reseck's questions about whole wheat breads
being heavy (and also Myth's questions about types of soft and hard wheat),
I highly recommend Bernard Clayton's book, mentioned above.  He gives a
100% whole wheat bread recipe that is wonderful and not heavy, but it does
have dry milk powder.  He also discusses reasons for ingredients and what
they do very
thoroughly. I used to teach a Yeast Bread's class and used this book so
much, finding it to be an invaluable source of information.

I'd be interested in other folks' favorite bread books ---- ones that
you've found to be reliable and the recipes are "tried and tested".

Susan Thomas,
Eugene, OR