Margaret's Many Grain Bread

"Margaret Cope" <mcope@connriver.net>
Wed, 03 Nov 1999 19:47:58 -0500
v099.n057.1
                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                       Margaret's Many Grain Bread

Recipe By     : "Margaret Cope" <mcope@connriver.net>
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List        Breads
                Grains                           Hand Made

   3      C             Water -- (110F)
                        1 C Of Nonfat Soy Milk - Optional
   1      Tbsp          Instant Yeast
     1/2  C             Dry Milk
     1/4  C             Melted Butter -- Or
                        Canola Oil
     1/4  C             Molasses
   1      Tbsp          Salt
     1/4  C             Sunflower Seeds
   2      Tbsp          Poppy Seeds
   2      Tbsp          Cracked Flax Seed
     1/2  C             8 Grain Cereal
                        (Or 7), **Not** Flour
     1/4  Tbsp          Sesame Seeds
   3      C             Whole Wheat Flour
                        King Arthur Or Hodgson Mill
   2      Tbsp          Vital Wheat Gluten
     1/4  C             Wheat Germ
   3      C             King Arthur Flour For Electric Machines -- (To 4 C)

In mixer bowl combine all DRY  ingredients except two cups of white flour.

Add all WET ingredients which can be mixed in a separate bowl. Mix in with
wet ... beat with dough hook.  Slowly mix in the white flour until it is
stiff enough and pulls away from the beater.  Put in a clean oiled bowl,
cover with plastic wrap. Let rise until double.  Punch down and let raise
again.  Turn out on work surface .. knead .. let rest.  Divide into 4.  Put
into two 4 x 8 bread pans.  ( I do that so we have 4 smaller loaves for
freezing.)   Let rise until almost double.  Bake at 375F for 35 - 40
minutes.  Remove from pans I put it into the oven again for 5 minutes
directly on baking tiles and let cool on rack.  If you want a soft crust
rub on butter and cover with towel.

This is our standard breakfast toast bread.  I also make regularly the
carraway rye from "Cooks Illustrated" ... very very good.  Our third
standard bread is the pain levain from Bread Alone though I have trouble
with the chef and levain and coming out with the right amount ... but the
bread turns out well.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 5626 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 32799 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2339