Onion Filling and Topping

HHStruve@aol.com
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 09:33:21 EST
v099.n057.22
Greetings,

I was asked to post the following recipe from "Secrets of a Jewish Baker" by
George Greenstein.

Onion Filling and Topping
Use this recipe in onion white bread, pumpernickel, rye, onion rolls, sticks,
Foccacia, pizza, and wherever your imagination leads you, says the author.
Mix together:
1/2 cup yellow onions, chopped
1 green onion, white part only, chopped
1-2 t. poppy seeds
1-2 t. vegetable oil, try olive oil
Salt to taste, optional

That's it.

I have never made it, but everything I have tried from this book has turned
out great.
I make a "Sour Rye Bread" from the book that has for a variation "Onion Rye"
using the above filling. It says to knead into the dough immediately after
mixing. The tops of the shaped loaves should be rolled in additional onion
topping before the final rise.

Hannah Struve
hhstruve@aol.com