Granary Bread-Flour

"Jazzbel" <jazzbel@grouper.batelnet.bs>
Sun, 14 Nov 1999 07:26:43 -0500
v099.n061.1
| From: Kenneth Larsen <larsen@zephyrnet.com>
|
| During our visit to England we were served regular Super-market "Granary
| Bread", or I guess that's what it was. With lemon curd spread on it it was
| divine, and I'm afraid I made a pig of myself. Our hosts thought I was a
| little off, I guess, as this wasn't special to them. In any event, they
| never needed to know the "receipt (as they call a receipe), as the bread
| was so readily available, so here I am.
|
| Thanks in advance.
| Ken Larsen

Granary Flour is a whole-wheat flour with added malt wheat flakes.  AFAIK,
it is only produced in England.

I have the following recipe for a substitute:mix 1 lb whole wheat flour, 6
oz bread flour and 6 oz cracked wheat.

It's a straight dough bread with the following recipe:

1 lb granary flour substitute
6 oz bread flour
2 tsp salt
400 ml water
1 oz butter
1 tbsp dried yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp malt extract

___

If you get real granary flour reduce the salt to 1.5 tsp.

Source: Good Housekeeping

Later,
Jazzbel

Bread Baking is lot like married love.
The first loaves of bread you make are not the best
you'll ever make, but they are better than any you've ever bought.
--Anonymous.