Re: using KitchenAid for Bread

"Alan Jackson" <ajackson@icct.net>
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 09:36:23 -0600
v099.n064.25
Bread flour is much higher in protein than all-purpose. It is primarily
the protein content that causes the bread to hang together. Cake is
crumbly because it uses cake flour (low protein) and added fats (which
inhibit polymerization of the protein). Don't use bread flour for
pie crust, or cake flour for bread! 8-) All-purpose will work, but
poorly, for both, since it is a compromise. The other issue is that
all-purpose flour varies widely across the country, generally being
more like bread flour in the north, and more like cake flour in the
south. This is related to using hard (or winter) wheat - high protein,
vs. soft (or spring) wheat - low protein.

...snip

--
| Alan K. Jackson            | To see a World in a Grain of Sand      |
| ajackson@icct.net          | And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,         |