[no subject]

Lynn E Cragholm <lest2@juno.com>
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 16:05:47 -0900
v099.n065.2
I am submitting a wonderful potato dough recipe that originally appeared
in the 1977 More-with-Less Cookbook published by Herald Press.  The
recipes and "suggestions by Mennonites on how to eat better and consume
less of the world's limited food resources" were compiled by Doris Janzen
Longacre.

Edna Ruth Byler's Potato Dough Baked Goods

(Edna Ruth Byler, Akron, PA, was widely known through the early lean
years for baking classes she held, teaching her master recipe)
Dissolve
3 pkg dry yeast in
1 cup lukewarm water

Mix in large bowl
1 qt scalded milk
2 cups mashed potatoes (no milk or butter)
1 cup fat (half butter, half margarine)
1 cup sugar

Let cool to lukewarm, then add
Yeast mixture
6 cups flour
Let stand until mixture foams (about 20 minutes).

Add
2 eggs, beaten
1 Tbl salt
11-12 cups flour (a little more or less; the dough should be soft)

Turn out onto floured board and knead until satiny.  Let rise in warm
place until doubled in bulk.  The dough then may be used to form
doughnuts, cinnamon buns, sticky buns, or dinner rolls, which are covered
and left to rise until not quite doubled.

The doughnuts then are fried in hot shortening at 375 degrees.  When
drained and while still hot, they are dipped into a glaze of one's choice
and a chopstick is inserted through the holes so a number of doughnuts
drain over the bowl of glaze until the next doughnuts are ready to be
dipped.

The cinnamon buns, sticky buns, and dinner rolls are baked at 400 degrees
for approximately 8 minutes on the lower oven rack, then shifted to the
upper rack for approximately another 8-10 minutes.

Coffee cake may be made by putting leftover bits of dough into a greased
pan.  Dab or punch holes in the dough, spread with butter, and sprinkle
sugar and cinnamon on top.  Let rise until not quite double, then bake as
described in the paragraph above.

When I make this wonderful potato dough, I divide it into fourths and
make a batch each of doughnuts, cinnamon buns, sticky buns, and dinner
rolls, and create a coffee cake with the leftover dough scraps.

The yield of the productive day may be frozen after the baked goods have
cooled.    Wrap them well and place in large plastic bags.

In closing, I submit this information that appeared in the
16 November 1999 issue of Tidbits of the Tundra published
 in  Anchorage, Alaska by Bobo Bunch Publishing.  Email
bobobunch@netscape.net

"The workers at a bakery in Connecticut used to play a game at lunch
time.  They would play catch with a tin pie plate from the bakery.  The
game became so popular that the idea was picked up commercially.  Soon
the disks were copied in plastic and embossed with the name of the pie
company : Frisbee."