100% Whole Wheat Bread

Tammie <galestormgalestorm19@netscape.net>
11 Dec 99 13:25:21 EST
v099.n067.14
Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting to the list.  Someone requested
a whole wheat bread recipe.  I've had this recipe for almost 20
years and it was my first attempt at bread baking.  It was from
McCall's Magazine Cooking School (anyone remember that?) and makes
a wonderful loaf of bread.

100% Whole Wheat Bread  McCall's September 1980

2    cups milk
1/2  cup light-brown sugar, packed
1    TBS salt
1/4  cup butter
1    cup warm water (105-115)
2    pkg. active dry yeast
8    cups unsifted whole-wheat flour
     All-purpose white flour
3    TBS butter, melted

In saucepan, heat milk till bubbles form around edge of pan; remove
from heat.  Add sugar, salt, and 1/4 cup of butter; stir until butter
melts; cool to lukewarm.  If possible check temperature of water with
thermometer.  Sprinkle yeast over water in large bowl.

Stir to dissolve yeast; stir in the lukewar milk mixture.  Add 4 cups
whole-wheat flour; beat vigorously with wooden spoon until smooth.
Gradually add rest of whole-wheat flour; mix in last of it with hand
until dough is stiff enough to leave side of bowl.

Turn dough out on lightly floured pastry cloth.  Knead until dough is
smooth and elastic--5 minutes.  Place in lightly greased large bowl;
turn dough to bring up greased side.  Cover with towel; let rise in
warm place (85), draft free, until doubled--1 hour.

Again, turn dougn on cloth.  Halve, let rest, covered, 10 minutes.
Cut each halve into two.  With palms, roll each part into a 12-inch
strip.  Twist two strips together three times; press ends even; pinch
ends to seal.  Place in greased 9x5x23/4 inch pan.

Brush surface with a little melted butter.  Repeat with other half.
Let loaves rise in warm place, free from drafts, until sides come to
the top of pans and tops are rounded--1 hour.  Place rack in middle
of oven.  Preheat oven to 400F.  Bake 35-40 minutes.

Crust will be a deep golden-brown and loaves will sound hollow when
tapped.  (If crust is too brown after baking 25 minutes, cover with
foil or brown paper.)  Turn out of pans onto racks; brush tops with
melted butter.  Serve warm or cold.  Makes 2 loaves.