misc

"Gonzo" <Gunks33@hotmail.com>
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 09:01:31 -0600
v100.n001.6
  Glen:
I have an "The ultimate bread machine and I love it.  I always use a rubber
spatula to help get it going but once everything is in a ball it does a
great job all by itself.  I would definitely buy another one.

Brenda:
This is my favorite bread.  Its the one I make for company.
  Onion Lover's Twist
This is my favorite ABM bread recipe. I have modified it a bit from the
original (Which was not for an ABM) which was a 1970  Pillsbury Bake off
winning recipe.   This is what I make every time I have company.  It tastes
absolutely fantastic and its even better toasted the next day.  (If there
is any left)

  BREAD
  4  cups bread flour (original recipe called for AP flour)
  1/4 cup sugar
  1/2 teaspoons salt
  1 pkg. (1.5 tea) active dry yeast
  1/2  water
  1/2 cup milk
  1/4 cup margarine or butter
  1 egg

  FILLING
  1/4 cup margarine or butter
  1 cup finely chopped onions
  1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
  1 tablespoon sesame or poppy seed
  1 teaspoon garlic salt
  1 teaspoon paprika

I put the milk, water, and butter in the microwave and warm it up a bit,
Then add the egg to the bowl and mix well, (make sure its not to hot or it
will kill the yeast, just luke warm) Add all the bread ingredients to the
ABM.  Set for dough and press start.  Keep an eye on it as this is 4 cups
of flour.  I have to help  the mixture get started in my Hitachi.
Stir it a bit with a small rubber spatula.  You should watch it during the
beginning of the dough cycle and make sure you have the right amount of
flour as the size of the egg varies and it makes a big difference.
The dough should be soft but not sticky.  Just add a bit of water or flour
to get the texture right.  It should form a nice ball in the middle of the pan.

  Lightly Grease a large cookie sheet:

Melt the 1/4 cup margarine in small saucepan, or microwave; stir in
remaining filling ingredients. Set aside.

When dough is ready.  Punch down dough to remove all air bubbles. Roll
dough into 18x12-inch rectangle. Cut dough lengthwise into three 18x4
strips.  Starting with the long side roll up into a 18 inch long tube.
Place all three tubes on the cookie sheet oblong from corner to corner.
Braid and pinch the ends together.  Now take the filling and using a
teaspoon put the filling under (between?)the braids.   You should have just
enough filling to put into every crack on the loaf.  Spray with a non stick
spray and cover with a piece of Plastic wrap.  Let rise for about 45
minutes, remove plastic and then put into a preheated  oven at 350 F.  Bake
25 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and the loaf sounds hollow when
lightly tapped.  I have found that I prefer this bread a wee bit on the
light side rather then a deep golden brown.  To me it tastes better (more
moist) if not well done.  The bread  will rise more in the oven and makes
one very big beautiful loaf.  Its really not hard to do and it looks
fantastic.  Makes great toast, garlic bread, etc.