skolding grain

Lobo <lobo119@worldnet.att.net>
Sun, 02 Jan 2000 14:13:06 -0700
v100.n002.5
Jens P.Maudal wrote:

>I have just read about an old technique in bread baking called "Skolding",
>and wondered if any of you have tried this.
>What the book explained was to take 10-30% of your grain and pour boiling
>hot water on it and leave it standing over night.

I've done this with cracked wheat just so it wouldn't chip teeth!  It works
fine; I'm not sure if it tastes better because I've been more conscious of
trying not to chip a tooth when I ate bread made without soaking the grain.
 I've appreciated not having that worry when I did soak it.  I've also done
it with flax and will probably try it with barley and rye.

BTW, if the water isn't totally absorbed, I substitute it for part of the
amount called for in the recipe.  I figure there probably are some grain
vitamins and minerals leached into it.