Bread Machine

LLESKY@aol.com
Sun, 2 Jan 2000 13:34:40 EST
v100.n002.7
Two years ago, I purchased a West Bend 1 1/2 or 2 pound horizontal loaf style
machine.  It does a good job of kneading. (Prior to this purchase, I was
mixing my bread dough on a KA.  I still do for large quantities of flour.)
I don't like the way West Bend bakes the bread.  The bread comes out with a
very irregular top crust and it seems the left end of the loaf doesn't raise
properly.
So I put the timer on dough cycle. Depending on what bread I am making, I may
either let the dough go though the whole cycle, of mixing and raising in the
machine, or I will take it out at the end of the 40 minute mixing cycle,
knead the dough for a couple of seconds, form a ball and let rise in a
covered bowl for an hour or so.
Either way, I shape the loaves the way I want to, bake them in the oven, and
they at least, look like a loaf of bread.

Now I have a question.  I bake only Kosher breads.  (That is, I don't mix nor
use any dairy products with meat products in my dough or utensils, bead
machine, etc.)  Many of the bread recipes call for milk.  I have substituted
water, orange juice, and nondairy forms of milk in the place of regular milk.
But I saw a rye bread recipe that called for sour cream.  Any suggestions?

Lou Lesky
llesky@aol.com