For Linea Benson

Frances Feeter <momfeet@aloha.net>
Sun, 09 Jan 2000 14:01:47 -1000
v100.n004.24
Linea - here are two I like:

Sunflower Cheese Crisps
1 C all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 C butter or margarine
1 C small curd cottage cheese
1/4 C shelled sunflower seeds

  Stir flour and salt together.  Cut in butter or margarine with pastry
blender or fork till resembles fine crumbs.  Beat in cottage cheese with
electric mixer till smooth.  Stir in sunflower seeds. Divide dough in half.
Roll out on lightly floured surface to 16 x 12" rectangle. Cut in 2"
squares. Prick several times with fork.  Place on ungreased baking sheet.
(I find it easier to transfer whole rectangle to baking sheet, prick, then
cut and spread apart slightly.)  Bake in 325F oven for 15 - 20 minutes or
till lightly browned.  Makes 8 doz.  You could make any variation: omit
seeds, add other seeds on top, add garlic to batter, etc.   This recipe
from Better Homes and Gardens magazine.

Frannie's Fatfree Flatbread

Soften 1 pkg. yeast in 1 C warm water.  Add to mixture of:
1 C all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/3 C dried minced onion, reconstituted and drained
2 C whole wheat flour
2 C cooked multi-grain mix (see below)

      Beat to mix well, then knead till smooth and elastic. Dough should be
soft and sticky, but add more flour if needed. Spray bowl with baking
spray, put dough in bowl and spray top of dough.  Cover with plastic and
let rise till nearly double.  (about 45 min.)  Punch down and knead bubbles
out.  Cut into 16 pieces; roll each piece out very thin.  Place on sprayed
cookie sheet (you can cut into squares or leave in one piece).  Spray with
baking spray (I use Olive Oil flavored), then sprinkle with choice of
seasonings: salt, seasoned salt, seeds, etc. Bake at 345F for 18-20
minutes, till light brown.

Multigrain Mix
1 1/2 C oat groats
1  1/2 C long grain brown rice
1 C whole grain rye
1 1/2 C whole grain triticale
1 C whole grain buckwheat
1 C millet
1 C pearl barley
1 C sesame seed (optional)

1 C mix = 3 C cooked.

I make a whole batch of the mixed grain and cook it and freeze in 1 cup
portions.  I add one or two cups to my whole wheat bread dough.  (I live on
Molokai, Hawaii, and can't get triticale, so my mix doesn't include that)

These are both good, the main problem is that it takes much longer to make
them than to eat them up!