Sally Lunn recipe//Wood stove baking

Andie Paysinger <asenji@earthlink.net>
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 18:17:23 -0800
v100.n007.2
Here is a recipe from The Grand Union Cook Book (Grand Union Tea Company)
Compiled by Margaret Compton.  Published 1902.

I have typed it exactly as it appears in the book.  Many of the recipes in
this book fail to mention how much time to bake or cook a recipe.

Sally Lunn
This delicious tea cake may be made either with yeast or with baking powder.
It must be mixed as carefully as any delicate cake.  When yeast is used,
only a very little is required; for a quart of flour not more than
one-quarter of a small cake (of yeast) would be needed.  The dough is also
made short, two ounces of butter being rubbed into a quart of flour. Three
large or four small eggs must be well beaten, whites and yolks separately
and added to the sponge, which must stand for an hour, and then molded
quickly and baked in a very hot oven.
Sally Lunns are alway splitopen and butter lavishly before being sent to
the table.
When made with baking powder three teaspoonfuls are required for a quart
and the other proportions remain the same.
A tablespoonful of sugar may be added if a sweet cake is preferred.

And for the inquiry about baking in a wood stove.   I learned to cook on
a wood stove and bake in ovens built into the sides of the kitchen
fireplace when I was growing up in the 40s and early 50s on a farm in
Kentucky. (House was built in 1830) I suggest you get an oven
thermometer.   I was taught to open the oven door stick my hand into the
center of the oven and count. 1-potato, 2-potato, etc.  If I could count to
3-potato it was a slow-medium oven
about  250.  2 to 2-potato  a medium-hot oven 300 to 325F.  1-potato + it
was a hot oven.
Our cook, my teacher, could produce perfect angel food cakes  from these
ovens.  Mine always fell...... bread was baked at the hottest temperature
and was baked in heave black steel pans  or directly on the cast-iron oven
floor.

--
Andie Paysinger & the PENDRAGON Basenjis,Teafer,Cheesy,Singer & Player
asenji@earthlink.net    So. Calif. USA   "In the face of adversity, be