George Greenstein's Bialys

"Bonni Brown" <bonnibakes@hotmail.com>
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 08:54:37 EST
v100.n008.19
This one is for you Dan. I too grew up in NYC and miss the wonderful variety
of breads. I had fun a few weeks ago when I was there and spent a few hours
watching the bakers at Amy's Bread do their thing through the glass wall. If
you're around 9th Ave between 15-16 Streets stop in.

I have made many versions of bialys (usually disappointed by most) but the
recipe in George Greenstein's book, "Secrets of a Jewish Baker" is the
closest yet. I would definately recommend buying the book if you want to try
and reproduce some of the New York style breads. The flavor and moistness
achieved by using altus (soaked pieces of rye bread, then squeezed out) in
his NY Rye made the loaf very close to what I grew up eating. If anyone can
suggest how to make a loaf of rye or pumpernick have a more domed, rather
than flat, shape I'd appreciate it.

					BIALYS         George Greenstein
    2      Cups          warm water
    3      Packages      active dry yeast
    4      Teaspoons     sugar
    3      Teaspoons     salt
    6      Cups          bread flour -- (6 to 6 1/2)
                         Flour for dusting (preferably rye flour -- For Added
Flavor)
                         Oil -- for greasing bowl
                         Topping:
    3      Tablespoons   minced onion
    2      Teaspoons     poppy seeds -- (optional)
    1      Teaspoon      vegetable oil
    1      Pinch         salt

Combine topping ingredients and set aside.

In a large bowl sprinkle yeast over the warm water to soften; stir to
dissolve. Add the sugar, 6 cups of flour, and salt. Mix thoroughly until
dough forms up and comes away from the sides of the bowl.

Turn out the dough onto a floured work surface and knead, adding small
amounts of flour as needed, for 10 to 12 minutes.

Shape the dough into a ball; place in a large oiled bowl and turn to coat.
Cover and allow to rise 30 minutes. Press out all of the air with your
fingers and allow to rise until doubled in size (20-30 minutes).

Punch down the dough, divide into thirds, roll out under your palms into
ropes, and cut each rope in 6 equal pieces. Roll into balls. Cover and
allow the dough to rest for 10 minutes.

Rollout each ball into a 3 1/2 inch circle. If the dough becomes too stiff
or shrinks back, allow it to rest and go on to the next piece.

Evenly space the circles on 2 floured or cornmeal dusted baking pans. Cover
with flour rubbed cloths and allow to rise until puffy. Make an indentation
from the center outward, leaving a 1-inch rim. A shot glass with a 1"
bottom also works well. Press with a circular motion. Dribble bit of the
reserved topping into the hole. Dust lightly with reserved flour. Cover
with cloths and allow to proof until puffed up.

Bake without steam in a preheated 450F oven for 15-20 minutes.
Make 18 bialys.