cinnamon rolls

Marie Lim <marie.lim@idsnet.com>
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 09:41:45 -0800
v100.n014.1
Here's a recipe that I've used for years that I got on a food newsgroup. It
makes really huge cinnamon rolls with a really nice filling.

 >From: linda.magee@burbank.com <mailto:linda.magee@burbank.com>
 >Subject: Request for cinabon recipe
 >Date: Sun, 27 Feb 94 11:07:17

Hi Mark, having never tasted "Cinnbon's" rolls, I'm not sure if these are
the same. The woman who posted the recipe (on Prodigy), says they taste
exactly the same. I have made them and they're DEEEELICIOUS! Hope you have
lots of room to roll out the dough. The rolls are HUGE.

      STEPHANIE'S CINNAMON ROLLS
      (Makes 20 very large rolls)
      ---------------------------
      1/2           cup        warm water (105- to 110F)
      2            pkgs        active dry yeast (2 scant TBS)
      2             TBS        granulated sugar
      1 (3-1/2-oz.) pkg        instant vanilla pudding (the key)
      1/2           cup        butter, melted
      2                        eggs, beaten
      1             tsp        salt
      8            cups        all-purpose flour
      1             cup        butter, melted
                               cream cheese frosting  -or-
                               sticky bun topping (recipes below)
In small bowl, combine water, yeast and sugar. Stir until dissolved. Set aside.

In large bowl, make pudding mix according to package directions. Add
butter, eggs and salt; mix well. Add the  yeast mixture; blend. Gradually
add flour and knead until  smooth, adding "sprinkles" of flour toward the
end, until the dough is soft and silky feeling, but no longer sticky (soft
as a baby's behind).

Place in very large greased bowl. Cover and let rise until  double in bulk
(about 1 hour).

Punch down and let rise again (about 45 minutes).

On a lightly floured surface, roll out to a 34" x 21" rectangle. Spread 1
cup of melted butter over surface.
      TOPPING
      -------
      2         cups      brown sugar, firmly packed
      4          TBS      cinnamon (or to taste)
                          raisins (optional--my addition)
In small bowl, mix brown sugar and cinnamon together. Sprinkle all over top
of surface, sprinkle raisins over  the top. Roll up tightly

With a knife, put a notch every 2 inches. With string or thread, place
under roll by notch and criss-cross over to cut roll (makes a nice clean cut).

Place on greased baking pan, 2-inches apart. Lightly press rolls down with
your hands (just a LITTLE, it helps to hold  them together better). Use 8-
or 9-inch square (or round) pans-- DO NOT put more than 4 rolls in each
pan; if you do, the ones in the middle won't get good and done. The first
time I made them, I used a 13x9 inch pan, putting about 6 in each-- the
ones in the middle didn't get done, turned out doughy.

Cover and let rise until double again.

Bake at 350F for 15 to 20 minutes. Take them out when they JUST start to
turn golden. DON'T OVER BAKE!  Frost warm rolls with Cream Cheese Frosting.

      CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
      ---------------------
      1 (8 oz)  pkg       cream cheese, softened
      1/2       cup       butter, softened
      1         tsp       vanilla
      3        cups       powdered sugar
      1         TBS       milk, just enough to fluff (approx)
     Combine all ingredients and mix until smooth. Spread on very warm
rolls. Rolls are best when served warm.
      CARAMEL STICKY BUNS
      -------------------
      1     recipe   STEPHANIE RAMSEY'S CINNABON ROLLS
      1        cup   butter
      1        cup   brown sugar
      9        TBS   light corn syrup
      1        cup   pecans or walnuts, coarsely chopped nuts
In a saucepan or in your microwave oven combine butter, brown sugar and
corn syrup. Heat and stir until blended. Pour topping into the bottom of
the pans you are using for the rolls, place unbaked cinnamon rolls on top
on the   caramel sauce.

Allow to rise in a warm place until double in size (about 1 hour).

Preheat oven to 350F.

Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly brown.

After removing pans from oven, cover with foil; invert onto cooling racks,
cool 1 minute, and remove pan.

Cool before serving.

You could cut Stephanie's dough in half and also cut the caramel sauce in
half, and make half Caramel rolls and half of the frosted rolls, or just
make a big batch of the Cinnabon sticky rolls.

      Enjoy,

      Linda/BDT Burbank, CA (USA)                   (
                                                 (   )  )
      Internet address: linda.magee@burbank.com
<mailto:linda.magee@burbank.com>    )  ( )
                  (aka BZ Baker)                  .....