Instant Yeast Experiences

Kathy Engel <kathye@icubed.com>
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 19:47:39 -0500
v100.n015.15
I have been using Red Star Instant Active Dry Yeast for about a year now
and I think it is JUST WONDERFUL.  I buy it from King Arthur Flour.  It is
supposedly a little different than instant yeast, according to the catalog,
but similar.  You add it directly to the dry ingredients.  The package says
not to rehydrate the yeast before using it.  I have used this yeast for
pizza dough, bread, bagels, soft pretzels and doughs that start with a
sponge and it works great for everything.  I keep it in the fridge and then
just take out what I need, sometimes I let it come to room temp. if I have
time, other times not.  I can't remember if I have used it for sourdough
bread, but I never have luck with sourdough bread.  If I did use if for
sourdough and it wasn't that great, it might not have been due to the yeast.

Kathy