Re:Portuguese Sweet Bread

Frank.Yuhasz@pentairpump.com
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 22:34:33 -0500
v100.n015.25
Aloha!

I've been  tweaking a recipe that was posted for me in the bread bakers
digest for the Portuguese Sweet Bread, in order to try to duplicate the
taste of King's Hawaiian Bread.  I picked up a loaf at the grocery store to
look at the ingredient list for clues, and was quickly reminded of why I
have this quest to replicate it at home, and returned it to the
shelf.  Lots of multisyllabic chemicals and additives.  I'm not interested
in a mix, for similar reasons, as well as freshness and quality.  If you're
not familiar with this product, you might look up their website at
www.kingshawaiian.com
though, of course, they probably don't list the ingredients there.

Here's the ingredient list from the recipe I received.  It came from
Bernard Clayton's Complete Book of Breads.
(Thanks again to Susan Thomas!)

Portuguese Sweet Bread

2 packages active dry yeast  - - - used SAF gourmet yeast
1/4 cup warm water                    - - - used spring water
1 cup granulated sugar            - - - used granulated sugar that I keep
split vanilla beans in
about 6 cups unbleached all-purpose flour      - - - used Sapphire
unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt                           - - - used sea salt
1 cup milk                                     - - - used 2%
3 large eggs                               - - - used fresh local eggs
4 ounces butter

I also added 1/4 cup dried potato flakes, as the commercial bread listed
potato flour in their ingredient list.
I also added 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract (Nielsen-Massey Madagascar
Bourbon Vanilla).
Baked the two round loaves in 9-inch cake pans at 350 for almost an hour.
Will tent with foil next time, as it got a wee bit too brown in my
convection oven, and will bake for a whisker less time next time.  This
produced a very tasty loaf that I would make again, but it still seems to
have "something" missing.

If there are any suggestions that you could make, to make this more
authentic and perhaps find the elusive "something" - - - -
please advise.  Is this pretty authentic as far as Portuguese Sweet Bread
recipes go?  Could you please check this out for me?  (I only got two
replies on the digest in response to my query, perhaps due to the timing,
around Christmas.)

Mahalo,
Carolyn Dandalides