req: Sourdough maintenance and recipes

Docia Richard <muleteer@wcnet.net>
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 09:49:03 -0600
v100.n017.4
Hey all y'all bread bakers!

I bought some French sourdough starter from sourdo.com last week, and it
arrived on Thurs.  Having never 'done' sourdough before, I was expecting at
least some basic 'care and feeding' and general use recipes to arrive with
it.  You know, like King Arthur usually does with stuff you buy there.  No
such luck with this bunch.

So I've activated my culture, and feel all dressed up with no place to go.
Reggie, I wanted to start by searching the archive for past posts on the
sourdough topic, but could not figure out how to do it.  And then I saw a
recent post from Tarheel Bob that made me think he had lots of sourdough
knowledge to share.

Would anyone mind filling me in on general care and maintenance of a nice
sourdough starter?  And of course, some wonderful recipes would be much
appreciated.  I did make a batch of pancakes with it this morning, using a
recipe from breadrecipe.com.  They were very different from the pancakes
I've made using 'traditional recipes'.  But they were good.  I'll bet
someone has some even better recipes they'd like to share with the list.

Reggie, forgive me for not using the archives to search for this info.  If
you would republish just how to do it, I promise to put the instructions in
a safe place, so I won't have to ask again.

This list is the best.  My own breadbaking has improved magnitudes since I
subscribed.  My family is very grateful to you all for sharing your wisdom.

God bless!
Docia in TX